One week in Czech Republic information itinerary
One week in the Czech Republic (Czechia?)
- Budvar – Czech beer (not Czech for “beer”). Much better than the insipid American Budweiser.
- Panelák (Paneláks) – large prefabricated concrete buildings – Czech (and Slovak) housing estates. Built mostly during the communist era. Also common in other communist and ex-Soviet countries (with different names)?
- Concerts, opera, ballet, etc. www.ticketsonline.cz? www.czechopera.cz?
- Rental car 23-28 Nov 2012? Hertz via Holiday Autos – 2 dr Corsa, pickup downtown PRG 0830, drop off airport PRG 0830.
- Accommodation 24-27 Nov 2012?
- Accommodation 20-23 Nov booked.
- Flights 20-28 Nov 2012 booked (Austrian Airlines).
- Concert tickets Muse 22 Nov 2012 booked.
- Concert ticket Marillion 25 Nov 2012 booked.
- Day 1 – 20 Nov – Tuesday – Arrive Prague 0730.
- Day 2 – 21 Nov – Wednesday – Prague.
- Day 3 – 22 Nov – Thursday 22 Nov 2012 – Prague. Muse concert 8pm.
- Day 4 – 23 Nov – Friday – Drive Prague to Brno, visit UNESCO place?
- Day 5 – 24 Nov – Saturday – Brno > Olomouc > Ostrava > Krkonoše …
- Day 6 – 25 Nov – Sunday 25 Nov 2012 – … Krkonoše > Kutná Hora > Prague > Marillion concert 8pm Prague.
- Day 7 – 26 Nov – Monday – Prague > Telc > Ceské Budejovice (Budweiser) > Ceský Krumlov …
- Day 8 – 27 Nov – Tuesday – … Ceský Krumlov > Pilsen > Bohemian Paradise …
- Day 9 – 28 Nov – Wednesday – … Bohemian Paradise > Prague > Depart Prague 1130?
Prague concerts, opera, theatre
- *20 Nov 2012 – Baroque Opera Stars Roman Fireworks – Dvorák Hall of Rudolfinum, CZK 200-900? www.ceskafilharmonie.czRoberta Invernizzi | soprano
- Collegium 1704 & Collegium Vocale 1704 – Václav Luks | conductor
G. F. Händel Concerti grossi op. 6 HWV 319 & HWV 324
Pugneran con noi le stelle | opera Rodrigo HWV 5
Ogni vento | opera Agrippina HWV 6
Tra le fi amme HWV 170 | cantata
Dissertavi, oh porte d‘averno! | La Resurrezione HWV 47
Dixit Dominus HWV 232 | psalm
- 20 Nov 2012 Opera The Bartered Bride (Smetana) Prague National Theatre 1900, tickets CZK 780-1100.
- *20-27 Nov 2012 Theatre – Black Light Theatre Aspects of Alice (Hapka), Ta Fantastika Theatre Prague, 1900, 2130, CZK 720.
- *20-24, 27 Nov 2012 Theatre – Black Light Theatre Life is Life, Metro Theatre Prague, 2000, CZK 480. No tickets 22 or 24 Nov.
- 20-23 Nov 2012 Musical Aida (Elton John) Karlin Musical Theatre 1900 – all days sold out or not available (www.ticketsonline.cz). Ho hum anyway?
- *21 Nov 2012 Opera Cosi Fan Tutte (Mozart) 1900 tickets 660-1100 CZK ($33-$55), Theatre of the Estates.
- 21 Nov 2012 Ballet Don Quixote (Minkus) Prague State Opera 1900, tickets CZK 350-1030.
- 21 Nov 2012 Chamber concert The Best of World and Czech Music (Vivaldi, Gershwin, Bach, Verdi, Bernstein, Dvorák, Mozart) Spanish Synagogue Prague 1730, tickets CZK 700.
- 22, 26 Nov 2012 Marionettes Don Giovanni (Mozart), National Marionette Theatre, CZK 590.
- *23 Nov 2012 Prague Philharmonia Dvorak Violin Concerto (www.praguephilharmonia.com), Dvorák Hall of Rudolfinum?
- *23 Nov 2012 Opera The Jacobin (Dvorak), National Theatre Prague, 1900, CZK 660-980.
- *23-24 Nov 2012 Concert (Handel, Dvorak, Vivaldi, Mozart) 2000 St Nicholas Church, tickets CZK 490.
- 24 Nov 2012 Opera Kate and the Devil (Dvorak) National Theatre Prague 1100, tickets CZK 560.
- 24 Nov 2012 Opera Carmen (Bizet) National Theatre Prague 1900, CZK 500-1230? Tickets sold out?
- 25 Nov 2012 Operetta – The Polish Blood (Nedbal), Karlin Musical Theatre, 1500, CZK 410-700.
- 25 Nov 2012 Opera Rusalka (Dvorak) Prague State Opera House 1900, tickets CZK 400-1150.
- Jazz at the Castle – 12 Dec 2012 at 2000.
- Dvorák Hall of Rudolfinum Prague – nothing 20-27 Nov 2012? Maybe on 20, 23 Nov.
- Smetana Hall of Municipal House, Prague – nothing 20-27 Nov 2012.
- Prague State Opera – 21 Nov Ballet Don Quixote, 25 Nov Opera Rusalka.
- Prague National Theatre – 20 Nov Opera The Bartered Bride, 23 Nov Opera The Jacobin, 24 Nov Opera Kate and the Devil, 24 Nov Opera Carmen.
- Spanish Synagogue Prague – chamber concerts 20, 21, 25, 26, 27 Nov 2012.
- St Nicholas Church at Old Town Prague – chamber concert 23, 24 Nov (better music than Spanish Synagogue?).
- Theatre of the Estates Prague – 21 Nov 2012 Opera Cosi Fan Tutti.
- Czech Philharmonic Orchestra – nothing 20-27 Nov 2012.
- Prague Symphony Orchestra – nothing 20-27 Nov 2012.
- Czech National Symphony Orchestra – nothing 20-27 Nov 2012?
- Prague Philharmonia www.praguephilharmonia.com – 23 Nov Dvorak Violin Concerto, Dvorák Hall of Rudolfinum?
- Black Light Theater – www.tafantastika.cz/en/
Brno, Budweis, Litomysl Chateau, Olomouc, Opava, Ostrava, Pilsen, Usti nad Labem – nothing during 20-27 Nov 2012 (30 days from 17 Nov 2012) (www.czechopera.cz)
- Daily? Ghosts and Legends Walking Tour – Old Town, at 1900 and 2100 Nov-May, 1hr 10min. Additional 30 min option tunnels and dungeons under Old Town Square. Website www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=1234.
- Daily? Ghost Walking Tour, 1900, CZK 450.
- Daily? Prague by Night, 1930, CZK 650.
- *Daily? Ghosts of the Old Town, 1930, CZK 300 – www.praguewalks.com/en/Ghost-tour–Esoteric-mysterious-Prague. Meet near Old Town Square 20 meters left of Astronomical Clock – guide with black cloak and black umbrella that says GHOST WALK. Tickets 5 mins before start, or online.
- Gosts and Legends of the Lesser Town, CZK 280, includes entry to the Ghost Museum – www.praguewalks.com/en/Ghosts-and-legends-of-the-Lesser-Town. Book one day ahead?
- Good Morning Walk, 0800, 2 hrs, CZK 390, www.praguewalks.com/en/Good-morning-walk, book one day ahead.
- Daily? The Royal Route Prague walking tour, 1330, CZK 450.
- Daily? Mozart tour, 1330, CZK 860.
- Daily? Communist walking tour, 1100, CZK 760.
- Daily? Big tour and boat cruise, 1000, CZK 1500.
- Daily? Jewish Quarter tour, 1330, CZK 850.
- Daily? Prague Castle tour, 1330, CZK 910.
Outside Prague tours
- Daily? Karlovy Vary tour – Czech Spa Resort, 0900, CZK 1500 or 2100 (includes Marianske Latne)?
- Daily? Karlstein Castle tour, 0900, CZK 900.
- Daily? Konopiste Chateau tour, 1300, CZK 900. Maybe only Thu-Sun?
- Daily? Kutna Hora tour, 1300, CZK 900.
- Daily? Nizbor Glass Factory tour – on river Vltava (Moldau), 0900, CZK 1000.
- Daily? Terezin Concentration Camp tour, 1300, CZK 1200.
StrangePlaces.in/Prague (unusual places)
- Faust House
- Hunger Wall (Hladova Zed) around Petrin Park, originally between River Moldau (Vltava) and the Strahov Monastery.
- Kino Lucerna, Vodickova 36, Praha 1 – Renaissance Art Nouveau style cinema?
- Restaurant Pravek – caveman restaurants (3x). Website www.pravek.cz.
- Statue – upside down horse (1999), sculptor David Cerny, in front of Kino Lucerna?
- Street – Parizska St from old town square towards Cechuv Most and Letna Park. Architecture.
- Vytopna Bar – model railway service. Seems a bit of a gimmick rather than interesting. Ho hum.
- Wakata – mad teenage wasteland nightclub?
- Zizkov TV tower – views and baby statues (David Cerny), restaurant.
- Zizkov National Monument – largest (bronze?) horse statue in the world? Jan Žižka on horseback (by Bohumil Kafka)?
Prague places to visit
- Amusement Park – Prague Exhibition Center?
- Brevnoz Monastery – Website www.brevnov.cz. Open Sat and Sun only for guided tours only? Or pre-booked groups during the week?
- Castle Troja (Trojsky Zamek) – near Prague Zoo. Baroque 17th century castle, looks like an Italian villa? French garden, orangerie, maze, fountains. Metro to Holesovice, then bus 112. Open April-October 1000-1800 except Mondays, November-March 1000-1700 on Saturday and Sunday only. No photography inside castle?
- Chairlift in Prague Zoo – operates erratically?
- Charles Bridge stairs down to river.
- Church of St Adelbert (Kostel Svateho Vojtecha) – altar worth a look? Fence locked but back door entry? Location U Meteoru street?
- Church of St Ignacius (Kostel sv Ignace) – Charles Square (Karlovo Namesti).
- Church of St Kyrill (Kostel sv Cyrila) – Resslova St, near Charles Sq.
- Church of St Methodius (Kostel sv Metodeje) – Resslova St, near Charles Sq.
- Church – Kostel Svateho Vojtecha – in Vojtesska St, near U Fleku? Monastery? Can’t enter, only look through back door?
- Funicular (not cable car) to Petrin and Nebozizek – Prague Eiffel Tower, park.
- Italian Quarter – near “Prague Venice” – Certovka? Piazza Del Risorgimento. Restaurants near river?
- Matejska Pout (Matthews Fair, Prague Theme Park, Prague Grand Fair, Prague Fair Ground) – only open February-April? Closed Mondays? Or open Feb-Nov but main rides only Feb-Apr?
- Mirror Maze – Petinske Sady?
- *Musical Theatre Karlín
- Nove Mesto town hall – Charles Square (Karlovo Namesti). Concerts.
- Park – Vystaviste a Stromovka (Stromovka Park)? Tree park. Lapidarium exhibition – sculptures including original Charles Bridge sculptures, open 1200-1800 Tue-Fri and 1000-1800 on Sat. Planetarium.
- Prague Exhibition Ground Holesovice (Vystaviste) – near Stromovka Park? Open 1000-2300? Website www.incheba.cz?
- Prague Ghost Museum – Prague Museum of Ghosts and Legends (Mysteriae Pragensis)? Website www.ghostmuseum.cz or www.ghostmuseumprague.com. Open 1000-2200, admission 100 CZK adults. Location Mostecka 46/18, Praha 1. Doesn’t look like much from photos.
- Prague Seaworld – Prague Exhibition Ground.
- Prague Venice – boat rides?
- *Rudolfinum concert hall.
- Synagogue – Jubilee Synagogue – 300 meters from Hlavni Nadrazi train station, in Jeruzalemska (Jerusalem Street).
- U Fleku – pub, brewery, museum, garden, large, own beer, tourist trap? Oldest pub in Prague?
- Theme Park? See Matejska Pout.
- Waldstein (Valdstejn) palace and gardens – Mala Strana, Prague. Closed in winter? Most beautiful gardens in Prague?
- Vintage car tour of Prague – 800 CZK for 2 people 40 minutes? Or 25 Euro per person 1 hour? March-November. Website www.guide-prague.eu/en/vintage_car_tour/. Or www.private-prague-guide.com/vintage-car-tours/ – 63 Euros per car 1 hour.
Churches in Prague
- Church of St. Adalbert (Kostel svatého Vojtecha) – Roman Catholic wooden church, U Meteoru street, built in 1904-1905? Not very significant?
Top spots list Prague
- Faust House?
Top spots list Czech Republic
- Knopiste Chateau – last residence of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. About 50km southeast of Prague. Impressive? Website www.zamek-konopiste.cz. Open Sat, Sun in Nov, tour groups only Thu, Fri, hothouses closed anyway?
- Kostnice Ossuary – human bones chapel in Kutná Hora. Or Sedlec Ossuary under the Cemetery Church of All Saints (Church of Bones).
- Lednice Valtice Cultural Area or Landscape – South Moravia, south of Brno (and Prague), near Breclav, border with Austria. UNESCO WHS (1996?). Lednice and Valtice towns and castles. Mostly closed from November to March? Total area about 200 sq km (283 sq km – Wikipedia? 14,320 ha or 143 sq km – UNESCO?), one of the largest artificial landscapes in Europe? Mikuluv Castle. Valtice Palace Plague Column (ho hum). Lednice Palace Minaret, the largest outside the Islamic world? Lednice fish pond lake. Good area for cycling, no bicycle hire though? Tourist information desk or office in Lednice and in Valtice?
- www.lednice.cz/en/ – Lednice tourist information and opening hours. Chateau Lednice closed Nov-Mar? The Greenhouse Lednice open 0900-1600 Sat-Sun only Nov-Mar? The Lednice Minaret closed Nov-Mar. Janohrad (Johns Castle) Lednice closed Nov-Mar. Lednice Chateau Chapel. Boat trip to Janohrad and Minaret – Sat, Sun, public holidays Nov-Mar if river not frozen Horse and carriage rides closed Nov-Mar. Zayferus – birds of prey demonstrations – closed Nov-Mar.
- www.zamek-lednice.com/main-menu/home-page/opening-hours/ – Lednice Chateau and stuff opening hours.
- whc.unesco.org/en/list/763/ – UNESCO website.
- Mikuluv Castle (Chateau) – in the town of Mikuluv. Museum – www.rmm.cz, closed Nov-Mar.
- www.valtice.cz – Valtice website (Czech only?)?
- Wikitravel city list talk comments
- Praha Prague (UNESCO listed, international airport)
- Brno (second largest city, defacto capital of Moravia region, one UNESCO listed attraction, international airport)
- Olomouc (second largest historic center, charming university town, UNESCO listed)
- Ceský Krumlov (beautiful, popular, UNESCO listed)
- Kutná Hora (gothic cathedral, famous bone chapel, UNESCO listed) – Kostnice Ossuary.
- Karlovy Vary (famous spa)
- UNESCO listed cities Telc, Trebíc, Kromeríž … (and more)
- Ostrava (industrial monuments, nightlife, international airport)
- Ceské Budejovice (Budweiser)
- Plzen (Pilsen)
- Another one
To investigate list
- Bohemian Paradise (Cesky Raj) (BP) – national park in North Bohemia. Hiking, biking, chateaus, castles, sandstone rocks, jewellery, scenery. Area 700 sq km? Protected Landscape Area of Bohemian Paradise, and Bohemian Paradise Geopark (BPG) added in 2005? Bohemian Paradise Geopark first member from CZ to join the European Geoparks (EG) network? BPG declared the first Czech National Geopark by UNESCO in 2010.
Website www.cesky-raj.info (Eng, Ger, Rus, Pol, CZ, NL).
- Activities – walking along trails, visit sandstone rock formations, cycling, inline skating, canoeing, swimming, diving (?), skiing (cross-country and downhill … sort of – slopes are 300-600m), rock climbing, paragliding (Kozákov hill), kiting.
- Castles – Hrubá Skála Castle. Trosky Castle (near Troskovice).
- Chateaus – Chateau Hrubá Skála (large), Chateau Hrubý Rohozec (in Turnov), Chateau Sychrov (large).
- Cycling – bike trail network (new?) called Greenway Jizera along the Jizera river? Also for inline skating. From Semily through Železný Brod, Malá Skála, Rakousy to Dolánky valley below chateau Hrubý Rohozec.
- Rivers – Jizera River, Kamenice River, Oleška River.
- Towns – Turnov, Jicín, Nová Paka, Semily, Železný Brod.
- Bartošova pec and Ondríkovice karst system – cave and stream?
- Borecké Rocks – on Bor hill (360m), near Rovensko p. Troskami village?
- Bozkov Dolomite Caves – karst caves, underground lake, publicly accessible.
- Dolánky Valley
- Hruboskalsko – lookout viewpoints – Virgin Mary above the Dragon rocks with view of Trosky Castle. Canyon situated below Hrubá Skála Castle with 65 m long rock corridor called Mouse Hole?
- Jizera river
- Malá Skála
- Maloskalsko Valley?
- Kalich – altar from 1634 and trail with information?
- Kalich and Chlévište rock mazes?
- Kozakov hill – highest peak in BP. Has lookout tower, restaurant, and tourist lodge? Paragliding and kiting.
- Turnov – Chateau Hrubý Rohozec.
- Valdstejn palace – closed Nov-Mar. Bohemian Paradise.
- Vaclav Sadovsky caves? Near Sloupno?
- Železný Brod
- Chapel of All Saints in Kutná Hora – thousands of human bones.
- Giant Mountains – see Krkonoše.
- Karlovy Vary – 130 km west of Prague?
- Krkonoše (Giant Mountains) (Karkonosze) – North CZ, on Czech-Poland border. Snežka is highest point in CZ.
- Kutna Hora underground mine tour.
- Mikulov Castle – in Mikulov.
- Mikulov – picturesque town?
- Moravian Gate
- Olomouc – North Moravia. City with second largest historical center in CZ? On Morava River. An undiscovered gem?
- Pálava Protected Landscape Area – South Moravia. Includes the Lednice–Valtice Cultural Landscape area. Pálava Hills – part of the Carpathians.
- Pec pod Snežkou – town at base of Snežka?
- Ossuary in Brno
- Snežka – highest point in CZ, 1,600m, in Krkonoše. Has chairlift to top (cableway)? But not operating until March 2014 (reconstruction)? Website www.snezkalanovka.cz (CZ, UK).
- Theresienstadt – Terezin Concentration Camp, north of Prague.
- Valtice Castle – in Valtice.
- Valtice town – www.valtice.cz (in Czech only?).
- Czech flag
(Places to visit in Czech Republic – areas, regions, cities, significant sites)
- Moravia – vineyards, mountains, villages
- Central Bohemia – central part of the Czech Republic, and Prague
- West Bohemia
- North Bohemia
- East Bohemia
- South Bohemia
- Bohemian-Moravian Highlands
- North Moravia
- South Moravia
Cities and towns
- Brno – Second largest city in CZ Largest city in Moravia. Former capital of CZ? Second-largest ossuary in Europe (Catacombs of Paris is the largest)? Oldest theatre building in Central Europe. Annual events – Moto GP Grand Prix, Ignis Brunensis (international fireworks festival).
- Prague – capitalOstrava — a vibrant local subculture and long history of coal mining and heavy industry
Pilsen — home of the original Pilsner Urquell beer, and the largest city in West Bohemia
Towns and villages
- Ceský Krumlov – Town center is UNCESCO WHS? In South Bohemia (south of PRG). Second largest chateau in CZ?
- Karlovy Vary – In West Bohemia (west of PRG). Historic spa resort, largest in CZ, popular with German and Russian tourists.
- Kutná Hora – Historic town. St Barbora cathedral. Silver mines. Chapel of All Saints with thousands of human bones.
- Olomouc – Thousand year old university town with river and second largest historical centre in CZ.
(Language in Czech Republic)
Travel to Czech Republic
Essential information for Czech Republic
Czech Republic visas
- See One Week in country.
Czech Republic flights – Airport
- Airlines – Air Arabia, Etihad, Emirates, FlyDubai, others
Czech Republic history and background information
Czech Republic – other interesting (or not so interesting information)
Czech Republic safety, security, crime, health
Czech Republic transport, getting around, to and from
Czech Republic sightseeing – top 5 sights, top 10 sights?
Czech Republic UNESCO World Heritage Sites
Czech Republic sightseeing – other sights?
Czech Republic festivals, concerts, events – cultural
Czech Republic festivals, concerts, events – sports
Czech Republic calendar (annual)
Czech Republic accommodation
Czech Republic eat and drink
Czech Republic entertainment
Czech Republic weather and climate
Czech Republic sub-headings or pages